Monday, May 19, 2008

Amazing Fun-Filled Phuket...Part 1

Hey all, thanks for your tags, comments and one SPAM.... :(

I shall begin to write about my Phuket trip before every memory of it fades away with time and age :) So many things happened, wonderful, thrilling and painful.....hmmm.....I shall write them with respect to my injuries and one injury, one post....to make reading tolerable :)

First Sustained Injury: 29 April 2008 at Khuk Kak Beach in Khao Lak

We picked up a rented car upon arrival at airport on 28 April and drove from Phuket to Khao Lak.... a town which is exactly like Phuket 20 years back.... charming! It was a peaceful uneventful drive though it was raining.... i couldnt help but conclude that we brought the Singapore Rain to Phuket.



Checked into this awesome Ramada Khao Lak Resort and we were teased by the ingenious design and decor of the room that we resolved to have our future bedroom modelled after this (if we ever get to shift house). Concept was great (not as classy as Banyan Tree but very tastefully done), room and toilet size too and to top it all, our room was just two doors away from the checkin lobby..... the shortest distance we ever had in our traveling history. Here's a pic of the rented car with the highly sought-after plate number in Singapore... 8888.....heehee

Didnt do much on arrival day, just drove around the town in search for lunch and dinner, lazed by the beach and watched very interesting volleyball match with locals and farangs. Didnt get a chance to play though :( Btw, this hotel provided free DVDs and DVD player. Internet access is free too....and the buffet breakfast a good spread......all at SIN $100 per room per night!

Oh well, i better not digress and go straight to the injury....haha. It was a superb late afternoon with shine and wind. After driving to waterfall (so so small and totally not inviting), cape and beach (full of litter and clearly not for relaxation), we had time for one more and decided to try this quieter stretch in Khao Lak. Guess what.... it was empty... as in no one was there! We had the whole beach to ourselves and it was a great feeling and a great way to end the day. And the waves... humongous but proved treacherous. I ran straight in and was having so much fun riding the waves...until a rock hit my right foot....ouch!!! It was brought in by the strong waves. Actually, many small rocks and stones were washed in and hit me but this was the worst. Some bleeding but i continued to play with the waves. What made me stop??? Erh..... this is embarassing but needful to mention. I lost my balance several times as the waves hit in but it was really simple delightful moments until i got "sucked in" by the current. I swallowed a fair bit of sea water and sand and was drowning. Dr lowly, with one hand to his new toy waterproof camera, tried to save me but he couldnt grab my hands. I had no energy to push myself up from the strong waters and thought that was it. I was struggling for breath and he knew he had to do something to save me. He pulled my leg to bring me nearer to shore and shallow water. It was then that i could smell air once again. A close shave and i just want to thank God for preserving my life.

P.S. I had the sand thingy at the throat for 4 days after that!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alen
Wow, room is gorgeous and for that kind of money S$100/night, think Elder Seah & I may want to go...??? Interesting account, keep writing as I'll drop by now & then. God bless.

Anonymous said...

that seems pretty fun! anyway its pretty cool what, hero to the recue of the beauty ya? HAHA! =P